Suicide Bomber Kills 3 Afghans by U.S. Base

English: KHOST, Afghanistan (April 11, 2007) &...

The attack on Forward Operating Base Chapman, at an old military airfield just outside Khost, came almost exactly three years after another suicide attacker succeeded in entering the base and killed eight people, most of them C.I.A. employees, in the deadliest episode for the agency during the Afghan war.

Gen. Abdul Qayum Baqizoi, the police chief in Khost Province, said the attacker had driven a minivan packed with explosives toward the front gate as civilian workers gathered to enter at the start of the day, but had been stopped by an Afghan guard. The attacker detonated his explosives and killed the guard and two civilians, General Baqizoi said.

A spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force confirmed the episode but said the three victims were all Afghan guards. He emphasized that the security perimeter of the base had not been breached.

Seven civilians were hurt in the attack, General Baqizoi said.

A statement e-mailed to journalists by a Taliban spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, claimed responsibility for the attack. “According to credible information, there were up to 250 national enemies queuing in front of the gate to get inside and serve the Americans in return for dollar salaries, and by doing so they were playing with their country, religion and dignity,” Mr. Mujahid said.

Injuries, arrests in clashes between protesters and police

A standoff between police and anti-war demonstrators near the NATO summit at McCormick Place left several protesters bloodied and led to dozens of arrests, as delegates gathered for the first of two days of meetings.

The confrontation, which flared up late this afternoon near the corner of Michigan Avenue and Cermak Road, lasted for almost two hours, as officers in full riot gear went nose to nose with demonstrators, with police determined to keep the crowd away from the convention center where NATO delegates were meeting.